One of the greatest parts about this internship is meeting people. Networking comes easier to some than others, so here is a guide on how to network from a fellow intern who used to have a hard time with it.
How to Network:
1. Be Social: The first step in networking is to get out of your comfort zone and talk to people. It is a good idea to have a few ice-breaker questions lined up in your head beforehand.
2. Be Sincere: Whatever you are saying, make sure you mean it. You never know when someone you just met will remember what you said later in life, so whatever you say, make sure you are sincere with yourself and them.
3. Be Humble: Sometimes, it’s easy to get too comfortable with someone you are networking with, which may come off as rude; remember to be humble.
4. Be Committed: When you network with people, make sure that they know you are committed. Make sure they feel like giving you their time is worth the investment.
5. Be Sure to Follow Up: If you want someone to remember your conversation, follow up with an email or text and thank them for their time.
Office of Congressman August Pfluger
Summer 2022 | Washington, D.C.