Every morning, I wake up, pick out my favorite business professional outfit, and grab my trusty work bag, ready to head out and take on a day on Capitol Hill. Now you might be asking, “why is a bag an important part of your morning routine?” It is not the bag itself that is significant; it is the contents that tell a story and provide the functionality to navigate life in Washington, D.C.
- Journal: I have enjoyed documenting my experiences throughout my internship by keeping a journal. Through keeping a journal, I have been able to document my growth as an intern and look back on the learning opportunities. I hope that this journal will assist me when adding to my resume and preparing for future job interviews.
- Badge: Your intern badge is a key that unlocks all of the great opportunities on Capitol Hill. It is also required to get through security and navigate through the Capitol! With your badge, you can explore areas of the Capitol that are not available for standard tours and attend hearings and briefings.
- Umbrella: D.C. weather can be unpredictable, so it is important to bring along an umbrella to keep yourself (and your business professional clothes) dry!
- Beauty Bag: It is always important to dress for success and “put your best foot forward.” Part of looking your best is feeling confident and put together. I like to keep hand sanitizer, bobby pins, hair elastics, a lint roller, and dental care items handy, so I can look and feel my best.
- Business Cards: Business cards are a gateway to networking in D.C. It is important to keep your ANRP Program-provided business cards with you at all times to exchange with all of the connections you will make during your time here!
- Commuter shoes: You might be fretting about the morning commute in fear of the blisters that could occur from hiking to Capitol Hill in dress shoes. Never fear, the solution is simple: commuter shoes! These can be your trusty pair of tennis shoes, your fuzzy boots, or even flip-flops. Once you reach your destination, these shoes can be exchanged for your professional dress shoes. Commuter shoes are a great way to stay comfortable and blister-free on your morning trip to work!
I hope this checklist helped determine what to pack in your work bag or add to your Amazon cart, to be best prepared for whatever the adventures of Washington, D.C. might bring you. What useful items will you choose to add to your bag?
Office of Congressman Chip Roy
Spring 2023 | Washington, D.C